Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's POPPY DAY. {Remembrance Day in Canada}




So I'd like to talk today a little bit about remembrance day. I think it's awesome. everyone in Canada wears red poppies to remember the men and women who served our country to defend its freedoms. I think it's so cool because in the states they don't really make it that big of a deal. I know people care but it's cool that people get so into it here. The first time I learned about remembrance day I was walking around campus in rexburg and saw people wearing poppies. The canadian club gives them out to people- little did I know I'd be a canadian one day. This is the poem everyone reads on remembrance day. It's beautiful... I'm thankful to have freedom. we are very blessed to live in a place free of supression. THANK YOU VETERANS!

In Flanders Fields
John McCrae...


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

Remembrance Day
Remembrance Day occurs in Canada each November 11. It is a day of national commemoration for the more than 100,000 Canadians who have died in military service. The costs for Canada, with its relatively small population, have been substantial, remember the poppies.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I love that song "Flander's Field"! It makes me cry! We sang it at all state choir in 04. Love, love, love it. That's awesome. Now I know where it comes from

    ReplyDelete